Friday, December 16, 2011

DIY Cowl Scarf

At recent holiday craft fairs I have been selling some very very lovely cowl scarves that I made out of vintage square scarves. They are so easy and so comfortable, I can't keep it to myself any longer!

Photobucket

Supplies:
Scarf - at least 30" long
Pins
Sewing machine (can also be hand sewn)
Scissors


First you need a scarf. I am using a vintage square wool scarf that is 32"
Photobucket

Lay it flat and fold one side into the center, and then fold the other side in so they overlap by an inch or two.
Photobucket

Pin the two sides together that overlap.
Photobucket

Carefully sew the two pinned sides together. Use a thin needle to reduce snagging.
Photobucket

Snip the end threads.
Photobucket

And you're done!!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Very nice & looks easy to do. It also could be transformed into a kind of wreath, just find one of holiday colors & add extra touches such as ribbons, beads, feathers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you then sew the ends together? How does it become a cowl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I did; sewed the ends inside out them flipped it right side out...then it seems you want to band it up in one place, (and see it by hand there or sew a little band around it?) probably where all the seems show (you'll see, ESP if u do a craptacular sewing job like I did).

    ReplyDelete